Friday, April 16, 2010

Of Idlis,vadas and volcanoes

Nostradamus was right on the spot when he said " the day the idlies turn dark, the skies will turn dark too" or was it the other way around "the day the skies turn dark with ash cloud from a fire spitting volcano under a glacier in an island in the middle of nowhere ...the idlies will turn dark " .

After months and days of planning and replanning and mindless running around , the big 4 (both our parents) were supposed to start tonight for their much talked about trip around europe. And that is when i thought i would impress them with my culinary skills and make them divine idlies and I soaked the rice and the dal. And this was where it all started !! All I needed half a cup more of this dal . Being the good "home maker " that I am , I always run out of things before realizing I dont have additional inventory, and then my crisis management skills come to the fore !!

Ok, I digress. I didnt want to use the poor cousin,the spilit urad dal (for idlies, thats blashphemous, thats the thalikara paruppu , you lesser mortals ), and went in for the big daddy , the whole black uraddal. But the gods had already spoken . No amount soaking in "hot " water could make it shed its coat !! Thats the story then , of my idlies going from fair and lovely to the unlookable!!

So yes I did it !! The moment I soaked in the black dal, the gods of idlies and medhu vadas(what, we dont have one ??!! I thought they had a picture in saravan bhavan) had had enough " this woman who makes idlies that are good enough to be the next WMDs, medhu vadas without holes, upmas that could compete with fevicol and eats cornflakes for breakfast is a disgrace to our race, and they spewed out tons and tons of venom and fire and ash !

And there my friends is my confession. Stop !! before even you start cursing me , i want to let you know, that justice has been swift !! Yes , my mixer died on me. It just stopped working when i was in the middle of the sinful act .

I'm now decoding the predictions on appalam like phulkas and tooth breaking chholes !!

PS: I know I sound better when I'm pouring my heart out when something goes wrong cursing the whole world than when I try to be funny !! Bear with me..I'm trying to remain upbeat and trying hard to see a silver lining in the ash cloud ;-) (there I go again !! )

5 comments:

Sriram said...

Aiyyyo.. enna 'pun'eette nee??
Whatay journey this was.. started from the reference to the Eyjafjallajokull (Woohoo i remembered that word I'm a friggin genius!) and ended up in paruppus and idlis. Kickass start to reviving the blog (here i go again :P)!!

Niranjani said...

hey bro, wow, that could win you a spelling bee !! yeah all that I can do now is rant in my blog !! pathetic !! reviving my blog ?? I dont know. atleast for the blogs sake I'll say Jai ho volcano !! (no I'm not even trying the name )

Ramasubbu said...

Hey Niranjani,

by any chance, are you from Rajapalayam ?

Chinmaya Vidyalaya ??

Does it ring any bell ?

If so, would love to be in touch.

Regds,
Ramasubbu.

Niranjani said...

hi Ramasubbu, yeah I'm from chinmaya,rajapalayam . the same niranjani. how are you doing ?

Ramasubbu said...

Wow ! what a surprise ! and how nice...

Happy to meet you after a long time (of course, virtually). still..

blog le.. pinnee pedal edukkre po ! Enjoyed few posts of urs. Will read more from now. Keep it up.

I am in the Netherlands now, writing my Phd thesis (just 4 months to go and u can imagine how stressed i wud be). So literally out of touch from the rest of the world :)

howz life, anyways ?

Would be nice to be in touch.