Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Day one-continued...

the vratham turned out to be very interesting.It was kind of a recap of my entire life till that point.my father had to say my name in my ears thrice just as he would have done during my naming ceremony.there were a lot of other rituals like these and finally my father tied the "kaappu"(sacred yellow thread) on my hand.on the other side S was going through a similar routine.

the rituals done, i began chatting away happily with my friends deepak,sreeparna and her mom who had just arrived.

another thing you could notice in weddings is that everyone wants to talk to the bride and the groom.granted that everyone is curious, but i was damn nervous that i shouldn't blurt out something by mistake." do you know me" is the first question you face.with a memory which fades away lightning quick especially in the matter of faces and names i'm always dumbfounded when faced with this question.depending on my luck i either say "oh yes" or " oh no" .the "yes" is followed by " ok then tell me my name" and " no" by a look which says " how could you???"


my mind says,why the hell do you want me say your name..you should know it very well by now.or ..why do you put up a long face...you are no george bush by the way.


and i hush up all my thoughts and smile as sweetly as i could before some one else starts off the questionnaire again..


i managed to lie down for a few minutes and then the preparations for the engagement started.make up, change of saris and then the engagement began. the "muhurtha pathrikai" wedding schedule was read out and i was given another saree to wear.back to my room, another quick change of saree..( make the pallu longer she has to tie a coconut in it ..somebody shouted) and then back to the crowd.

the customary photographs done.now i rushed back into my room for an extended make up session for the wedding reception.it went on for more than an hour..and when i looked into the mirror i could hardly recognize myself.i had never had so much of cosmetics on my face ever..the most i had was a dab of compact and kajal.oh i just didnt want to go out of the room.i was feeling so self conscious.but people had already become restless outside. i was 30 mins late and had kept S waiting.just then the photographer barged in.i was so nervous that i coudn't even smile for the pics..but somehow managed to do that.with my mil almost as restless as me due to the delay i dragged myself out, walked quickly and got on the dais even before S.

then started the endless row of friends and relatives with gifts and posing for the pictures.i smiled till my jaws ached .finally it was all over by around 10, then the tireless photographer again took us into the room and photoshoot started all over gain with me and S. after 30 mins of clicking we finally had dinner.

my apetite just vanished on seeing the food though everyone had said that the food was wonderful.it had been so from the morning and it continued. guess it was my nerves.

the so called dinner over..now it was back to the room.taking off the make up was worse than putting it on.there were around a 100 pins on my hair and it felt like horse hair.all done and my hair breathing again .thanks to my sweet sis..we got to bed.

and guess what..the power went off again.but i was too tired to even notice this and went back to sleep.

came to know next morning that my sis had walked and jumped over all those people sleeping in the hall and spoke to a couple of guys standing outside and made them switch on the generator.how sweet..


2 comments:

Sriram said...

good narration :) Looks like you hate capital letters just like g-man.
hm... and you're right about the reception make-up. It was a wonder why people didnt say "Hey, I think I know this girl... seem to have seen her somewhere" instead of "aaa... Ponnu vandhaachu!"

Niranjani said...

infact i also found my fingers going to the shift key every time i began a sentence.then curbed it.wonder if i shud curb my natural instincts :-)